3.30.2008

it's blog post time.

So African policy seems to be the hot-button issue among the guardians lately, and rightly so. Neil Turok, a physicist at Cambridge, did a lovely talk at TED about his creation of an African mathematical center. It's really quite inspiring, and it's what we need to do to make the continent better. It's definitely worth a look. I think the best thing he does in this presentation is outline the problem and how serious it is. For some reason, I just love the "bloated land mass" maps.
Mallory and I attended a fundraiser-party last night organized by a friend who is working on building a school in Nairobi. It was quite a fun time, although I felt a little out of place. It's hard not to feel out of place when a new acquaintance's first question is,"So, have you been to Africa?" Which really gets to the heart of it, I suppose, because I have not. And I'm a soldier, the bane of any true Liberal. But, for a good cause, my money is worth as much as theirs; and I like to think that I know a bit more about policy, but probably a lot less about African policy. None of us, though, know enough to 'fix' the problems in Africa, however. We need African leaders to do that.
Anyways, after this party, we went to the bars with some new friends and danced until 2am. That was quite the fun time. I felt like I was in the 70's. We picked some songs from the jukebox - of course, they never came on. So fun.

Okay, enough for today. I had some links I was going to post but they can wait.