5.12.2008

Life, Love, Stress and Setbacks

So - my active duty orders were reshuffled on Friday (or - were always this way and I was just unaware). I'm actually not coming on active duty until August 25; from there, my schedule is the same (Benning in January, Knox, then Bliss). So I have the summer off.

I was pretty disappointed at first - less pay, less work, less experience, and a boring summer. But what is the upside?
1. More leisure time. I can relax all summer. I can swim, bike, run, and read to my heart's content.

2. No additional summer duties. I don't have to help plan Orientation - I'll just participate.

3. I can go camping with my dad. It may be the last time in a while. We have been planning a trip for a long time, and now we may actually be able to go.

4. The Union. Need I say any more?

5. Eye surgery. I may get laser eye surgery over the summer so I am set to go without glasses for all of my training. No more BCGs for me... I hope!

6. I can help out with the campaign. I may even get a part time job working for Obama. Who knows?

Downsides:
1. No pay. I can't retire my credit card debt; I was planning to with my first paycheck. In fact, it may grow. I can't get a full time job if I want to keep health insurance, either.

2. My parents are going to Spain. If I had known earlier, I could have gone with them.

3. Boredom. I might as well turn my hours into money, or at least something productive.

4. I have to put together a resume. Yuck.

I think that's about it. Except for the classical problem of money, this summer may actually be better off for this turn of events.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE can haz lan partai plz?

Bree said...

That doesn't sound all bad. Isn't that what Summer is supposed to be all about?!? Enjoy it while you still can!